“While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease” (Genesis 8:22).
As the snow continues to make its appearance, even in the middle of April, I have to remember this verse and remind myself to be content with whatever weather God sends us. A year ago Tuesday we tilled up the garden – with temperatures in the fifties! 😕
But a few weeks ago, I started a project that is helping to tide me over until I can truly be gardening.
We bought several seed trays at Runnings, and some seed-starting soil. For containers I used old cartons from transplants that we had saved over the years. I needed 96. After throwing out some broken ones, I had 97!
Naomi and I had started some geraniums a few weeks earlier, so I kind of knew what I was doing. First I filled the trays with 12 cartons each. I poured the soil in, moistened it, and put a seed in each cup. (I spooned the soil in at first, but soon decided that pouring was much easier! 😉)
This was only whetting my appetite! I could almost feel my thumbs turning green! My sisters and our friend Tabitha Wilson soon joined me, and the work began to go much faster.
(Naomi was helping too, but she was behind the camera this time! 😃)
After I used up the smaller bags of soil, I opened the bigger bag. That was when I ran into problems. When I tried to moisten the cartons full of soil, the water just ran off the top onto the table instead of soaking in!
Hmmmm…. What should we do about this? It was making quite a mess. After a bit of consultation with my board of advisers, I grabbed a big mixing bowl and started dumping the soil in. Next, we poured water in and started mixing it up like dough. Then we refilled the containers with our exclusive pre-moistened seed-starting mix and continued our normal operations.
Viola, dahlia, celosia, hollyhocks, sage, parsley, and oregano – one by one we filled the flats. They were supposed to be covered with plastic lids, but Runnings was sold out of them. So we covered them with plastic wrap instead.
We labeled the trays and put them on the plant shelf that Daddy built years ago. I set up the heater next to it and turned it on high – the best temperature for sprouting seeds is between 70 and 80 degrees F. This is why we start them inside! 😀
Last but not least – cleanup!!! 😅
Almost everything sprouted. We got only one watermelon, but I wasn’t expecting much from them because we dried the seeds ourselves from my brother’s watermelon in 2016.
Happy gardening! 😃